Folk dance summer school @AKDT
During the second week of July, Koen Dhondt & Julie Gonzalez teach at a fun and intense summer school in Neufchâteau, in the South of Belgium. Registration on the website of the "Académie d'été" (AKDT in short) will open in March. Get ready for a full week with plenty of joy and fun, learning, dancing, relaxing, meeting new people, ...!
Variations for couple dances are the main part of this summer school: mazurka, scottish, waltz, irregular waltzes and bourrée. In addition, we also teach a number of specific regional dances from Gascogne, Brittany, Poitou and the Basque country, as well as variations for jig and other mixers. This basic programme is complemented with other dances based on the suggestions, preferences and/or needs of the participants.
The common thread for this summer school is to improve communication while dancing, thanks to a better technique, in order to lead and follow more easily.
We will learn different dances and variations than last year, even if the description of the workshop stays the same.
This summer school is aimed both at beginners and dancers of intermediate level. During 40% of the time, we will work in two separate groups, based on the dance level. Koen and Julie will give individual exercises and corrections, so that everyone can progress at their own speed, regardless of their original level.
At the bottom of this page, please find all information about dance level, languages spoken, meals and accomodation, subscription,...
Do you have any questions about your level or the programme of the summer school? Please do not hesitate to contact us!
You can bring your own food or eat at the restaurant inside the main building, that serves copious meals, always with a large salad bar (vegetarians meals available). Lunch 10 € // dinner : 7 € // breakfast : 3 €
- Camping directly at the summer school's location (a big boarding school)
- Rent a room & board at the boarding school (meals are included in the price). Places are limited, so book early!
- Book a B&B close by (see list on AKDT's website)
Planning / time tabel
- Saturday 3 July 2021: 16h30 - 18h: check in, keys & meal vouchers for those who rent a room
- 18h30 dinner, 19h45 welcome speech with practical info
- 3 July 20h30 - 22h: getting to know each other
- The lessons start on Sunday, each day from 9h until 12h and from 14h15 until 17h.
- Each day from 17h(30) until 18h(30) there are open lessons (where you can discover another workshop)
- Evening programme: concerts by the teachers of akdt, balls (folk and other dance styles), jam sessions, and the bar is open till late at night...
- Saturday 10 July 2021: Last lesson in the morning, until lunch.
Good dance shoes will ensure you can dance better and more easily. Please bring light, comfortable shoes, ideally more than one pair. If the weather is hot, you may want to bring more than one set of clothes per day, plenty deodorant, a fan, a water bottle...
Registrations start in March! On the website of the Académie d'été (AKDT in short), you will also find the conditions and prices.
The summer school is taught in French, if necessary complemented with succinct translations of the key elements to Dutch or English. Koen and Julie speak multiple languages, so individual feedback is provided in your own language.
Please arrive 15 minutes before the advertised starting time of the workshop, so we can start on time.
You do not need to have dance experience for this summer school, which is aimed both at beginners and dancers of intermediate level. During 40% of the time, we will work in two separate groups, based on the dance level.
Koen and Julie will give individual exercises and corrections, so that everyone can progress at their own speed, regardless of their original level.
You do not have to register together with a dance partner. For couple dances, we regularly switch partners.